Monday, February 25, 2008

My bottom is dragging -- quite literally!

OK, all you moms know that "carrying the baby between the knees" feeling later on in pregnancy. That is very similar to what goes on with my achin' hips. I feel like I am being dragged downward, from my pelvis to the floor, and my lower back hurts. I am so very grateful to whoever invented aspirin, because it sure helps. So does sitting down. The problem is that I am in no mood for sitting, as I have so much to do here at home in the way of housework and organizing. There is something about Lent that makes you want to get ready, just like an expecting mother nests. Our beautiful faith is all about wiping the slate clean. We welcome the new and enjoy freshening the old and tired.

While I wish I had my vigorous skeleton and muscles back, I know God knows what He is about. There are times when I find my disability enraging. And, honestly, I am the "passive aggressive" type so that rage manifests itself in a manner symptomatic of types of depression. It is a depression. After I catch a cold or flu, I notice how slow my mental processes are, how achy my joints and how bad my overall attitude is. I have up on my bulletin board this Scripture to look at when I am feeling low: For God did not give us a spirit of timidity, but a spirit of power, of love and of self-discipline. 2 Timothy 1:7

No comments: