Tuesday, June 5, 2007

When something old gets a new use

It can be such a good thing when something old gets a new use. By the grace of God, I have a week off this week because my children are in all-day Summer CCD at our parish. I am making a thorough cleaning/de-cluttering of the house. I am trying to decide what stays and what goes. I also want to take some old things and make new uses of them, like this big oak entertainment center we have in our bedroom that I bought when I was in graduate school in Nashville.

As often happens to me when I do housework, I think of correlations to the spiritual life. God wants to make good use of us. He wants us to routinely clean our consciences (confession) and keep us a new creation in Him. I have been reading about the temperaments again; and, by the way, I initially got myself wrong !?! I am a dominate sanguine and (I think) a secondary melancholic. The point being that God does not want me to completely deny my old self. He made me and He did a good job the first go 'round. It was I who strayed, not He. I realize that my easy-going, "life-0f-the party" tendency has the potential to put others at ease and the Lord wants to use this. He wants me to battle the flip side of this, which is to be flighty and easily distracted.

So, in that vein, I am back to my cleaning. I'd love to stay and chat but I know the good Lord wants me attacking my clutter. God bless anyone who takes the time to read this. Please pray for me!!!

No comments: