Thursday, September 23, 2010

TKC! (con't)


"A Place to Hang Your Hat"

One day, when I was a young, first-time mom, I sat down to try to write a short story called, "A Place to Hang Your Hat." Down the road, I want to work on expressing what was going on in my mind and heart, as I thought about this story. First, I will give a bit of personal backstory:

I love to read, and there is nothing better than a well-constructed story to teach us the problems, depths and joys of the human heart. When I was in college at Brown University in Providence, Rhode Island, my dear friend, Sophie, introduced me to the fiction of Flannery O'Conner. Now, is that not funny that a southern girl (me) goes to college in the northeast, and there finds the work of one of the best southern artists to have ever lived! In those college days, I read and wrote and discussed ideas all the time. I had already become, during my senior year in high school, very interested in the writing of Ernest Hemingway and the ideas of Karl Marx. I gravitated, at Brown, to a literature and history program that was founded by two professors who were both "literary Marxists," of a sort. There was an entire range of Leftist intellectual "dabblings" among the professors; I say "dabblings" because there was --fortunately-- no real coherence; and, again --fortunately-- there was a good deal of plain old compassion and common sense, possibly vestigal to the professors' earlier classical studies (just a theory).

(must go do laundry -- to be continued...) St. Pio, pray for us!

No comments: