Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Seasonal Books




I am glad to report that I fanned our waning flame for quality literature by reading the inspiring story, Brother Bartholomew to J and JB. The artwork in this book is lovely. We have the October pages of the Provensen's book displayed, as well as a lovely autumnal water color on pgs. 26-27 in The Seasons, an absolutely lovely book combining art and poetry. It is part of the Poetry for Young People series that I buy, from time to time, at our nearby Barnes and Noble. Here are links:



JB finished the Pauline biography of St. Ignatius Loyola. We need to get to the library and re-fuel on Henry and Mudge. I am reading the Ignatius Critical edition of Frankenstein.

Here is a "Vagabond Song," by Bliss Carman from The Seasons:
There is something in the autumn that is native to my blood--
Touch of manner, hint of mood;
And my heart is like a rhyme,
With the yellow and the purple and the crimson keeping time.
The scarlet of the maples can shake me like a cry
Of bugles going by.
And my lonely spirit thrills
To see the frosty asters like a smoke upon the hills.
There is something in October sets the gypsy blood astir;
We must rise and follow her,
When from every hill of flame
She calls and calls each vagabond by name.




No comments: