Wednesday, December 5, 2007

Getting rid of our sins...

I was just watching a little EWTN via the Internet, as I cleaned up the kitchen (We have not had cable t.v. for nearly 4 years. Can you tell I miss the good part?), and the priest from England who was giving a little Advent meditation mentioned that when G.K. Chesterton was asked why in the world he wanted to become a Catholic, he responded, "to get rid of my sins." As any practicing Catholic knows, the gift of priestly absolution in the Confessional is from God and it is absolutely meant for us. We are called to be saints. We are called to love others as our Lord and Savior has loved, and continues to love, us. I think I could go to Confession once a day! I so desire to love God. So often, I find myself falling short, and I am in awe at the power of the sacraments to restore my soul.

Thanks be to God, my husband and I got what we sometimes call a "spiritual shower" (We went to Confession) on Saturday morning before the first Sunday of this lovely season.

Lord Jesus, thank you for Mother Church which continues to save us as often as we are willing to be open to our salvation. Our salvation is not complete until we see you face to face. Then, we will see ourselves and our earthly pilgrimage as they truly are. Help us, during this time of waiting, to examine the state of our souls. Help us to love ourselves, not judge others (as we never know the "whole story"), and love You as You have loved us. Amen.

No comments: